Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Boo Yeah

I'll be brief, because I'm borrowing somebody's computer for a second to put up this post, but today was really fun.

I only caddied for one guy, and we ended up skipping around because he didn't want to wait behind the foursomes that kept popping up on this beautiful day.

I was a little nervous, because it was obvious to me after the first putt that I read that he knew his stuff. He's very familiar with the greens, and he will instantly know if my read is bogus.

But I did a great job on the greens today. We really hit it off, and he even bought me lunch.

I have to say, however, that the highlight of the day came on the last hole.

He hit his wedge a little right, and the ball came to rest approximately 65 feet from the hole. The putt had a couple things involved: it was downhill and it could definitely get away from him, and there was a ridge halfway in-between his ball and the hole that would throw the ball to the left quite a bit.

"I'm thinking of aiming 6 inches right of the hole. What do you think?"

I pointed to a spot I liked about 3/4 of the way between his ball and the hole, which was more or less 2-3 feet right of the hole. "I like this spot."

"You sure?"

"Yeah. I mean, you can aim it 6 inches right, but you'd have to hit it harder."

"Alright. Let's give your line a try."

And he struck the putt.

The ball started right on line, hit the ridge, and gracefully broke left and ended up in the bottom of the hole. What a putt.

I pumped my fist and he immediately pointed at me and shouted: "You are caddying for me this weekend!"

It was fantastic. Somebody is requesting my services. My first willing repeat-customer.

Tomorrow I have to move the rest of my stuff up to my new home for the summer, so I won't be posting tomorrow, but I'll see everyone on Thursday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats. Helluva read on that putt. Must have been real cool to see that ball drop. Keep it up dude...I'm sure there are many other blog readers like myself that hope the "willing repeat-customers" keep rolling through.

Anonymous said...

Great to hear things are going well! I'm sure you'll have plenty of "regulars" before long, although we'll miss you up here.
Hit 'em straight Steveo! ;)

Tom Collins said...

Thanks a lot guys. I hope I continue to keep the content on this site fresh to keep people like yourselves coming back.