Friday, April 15, 2005

Random Tangent

Just to warn you, I wasn't able to get a bag today. I got my first paycheck, which was good, but I was sent home at noon.

I may not have been able to work today, but I did come across a rather unbelievable television show. I only bring this up because I was floored when I saw it.

Montel Williams. His guest today was a guy who was playing in his club championship, and almost got struck by lightning.

And that was it. That was the whole story. Yet somehow, by making this guest take his time with the story and Montel asking questions as frequently as possible, they were able to stretch this out for 15-20 minutes. It was pretty much the whole show.

As an audience member, I would've been pissed. I mean, sure, that's a good enough story to tell your friends at the bar. But to put in on television in front of a live studio audience? You'd have to be on crack.

I kept waiting to see if this story was a lead-in to a much more interesting story. Like, alright, I was struck by lightning, but that lead me to believe that there was a God and he wants me to DIVORCE my wife and have SEX with midget-twins. Something to that effect. Something with some meat to it.

But no. I mean, I guess if all the interesting stories have dried up, this screening tactic for new material would work pretty well.

"Sir, if I could have just a moment of your time."

"Yes? What is it?"

"Sir, has anything mildly interesting happened to you today?"

"Why yes, I sat at a traffic light for 15 minutes."

"Wow. Did it...did it end up turning GREEN?"

"Yes! It was AMAZING!"

"Holy crap! Would you be kind enough to share that story on television in front of a live audience?"

"I would!"

And on and on. Talk-shows would never run out of material.

Ah well. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get a bag.

No comments: