Saturday, April 09, 2005

Disappointment

So, let’s not kid ourselves. Today was a bit of a letdown. I arrived this morning at 7:24 am and left the parking lot again at 1 pm. I wasn’t given a single loop.

I think it was even more of a letdown now that I think about it because I was up late again last night helping out with this movie. A friend of mine is putting together a film and I ended up landing a minor role. So, I had to travel last night to meet up with the production crew and shoot my scene. I got back home around 3 am, and of course was thrilled to set my alarm for 6. Yeah, I slept through it. But, when I woke up at 6:40 am, I got that essential adrenaline rush you need to help you get your ass in gear for the day.

When I walked into the caddie room there were already 10 guys ahead of me. I thought, okay, fine. Most of you guys are regulars and more experienced anyway, and I’m sure even if you arrived after I did you’d probably get priority. So I wasn’t really that concerned.

But, it was a gorgeous day: mid-70s and blue skies with just a hint of wind. And there didn’t seem to be a shortage of interested golfers—the tee sheet was packed up through 11 am.

So as caddies started leaving to meet up with their assigned players, I felt my name would be called soon. And then more caddies showed up. Okay, I thought, I’m still cool. I was here before them.

Nope. Apparently I was misinformed.

After my turn was skipped for the 5th, 6th, and 7th time, I started to feel like my efforts for making it to work this morning were all for naught. And when 1 pm rolled around and the supervisor told me I could leave, my heart sank. No work for me today.

And again, I understand. All of those other guys have been here longer than I have. Of course they deserve some sort of priority. But most of these guys are either part-time or they attempt the “weekend-warrior” shifts. I’m coming in every day. I mean, I’m new, but I feel I’ve shown them I know how to work hard. I don’t know. I mean, I guess my supervisor realized that I probably deserved to go out today when he responded with: “You’re first on my list to go out tomorrow.”

Thanks bud.

I suppose that’s all for today. But just for a bit of filler, I think I’m going to pick something random and talk about it for a moment. This might end up being a nice addition to my site. Plus, anyone who knows me will attest to the fact that I have an innate ability to go off on random tangents. So here goes.

The “20-Items-Or-Less” Express Lane at Wal-Mart.

This lane is crappy crap crap. I mean, I can understand 10 items or less, but 20? That’s not fast. That’s slow as shit. Do you know how complex you can make those 20 items? You can have meats, things that require weighing, golf clubs, bottles of wine (perhaps some proof of identification), and to top it all off, you still have women writing checks. For those of you who have ever tried to write a check to buy groceries, it sucks. That adds another 5-10 minutes of questioning to your checkout process. And the cashiers are so lenient. You could have 35 items and still go into the “Express Lane.”

And if you’re only buying one item, do NOT go to Costco. Take it from me. It’s the biggest waste of time EVER.

1 comment:

Tom Collins said...

Exactly. Thank you.